Monday, June 3, 2013

Concerts and Formal Dinners!

While we were out of town last weekend a little friend took up resident in our hanging flower pot!  And we are all very excited to greet our new neighbor soon :)


About 5 minutes down the road is this fantastic outdoor shopping center.  Last week I noticed signs out announcing an upcoming Summer Concert series ~ every Saturday evening through mid-August.  I don't know what screams Summer more than relaxing outside while listening to free live music!  So after dinner we jumped in the car, picked up some Froyo, and staked out a spot in front of the band. 




Kayla ran into one of her classmates who was also there with her family enjoying the music and ice cream!


  Gavin really wanted to join in the dancing!


It was a fun night and when the weather is bearable we'll be definitely doing it again!

So lately, as the kiddos have gotten older, I've been really thinking about family traditions.  It's just been heavy on my heart for some reason.  Possibly because for the most part it's just the four of us.  We live far from extended family where traditions just seem to fall into place and I feel the need to establish strong traditions now.  You know, when they were little, it's just about survival.  You live day to day, meeting the needs of babies and toddlers, and if everyone is dressed, happy, and fed, that's a good day.  But our two are getting older.  Each little milestone Gavin passes is a reminder that we are on the verge of being that family with 'older kids'.  On one hand it's painful to see my babies grow into young people....but on the other {the much bigger hand} it's super exciting to be turning the page on the next chapter in our family life!  And that brings me back to traditions.  Time is going by so fast and I want us all to be able to look back and say 'remember when we all used to do ____ '.  So an idea popped up in my mind.  Family dinners.  Of course, we have dinner as a family every night.  We sit at the table .... or sometimes on leftovers night was all crowed around the kitchen counter/bar.  But we are always together {with the exception of the occasional work duties keeping Garrett away}.  And I thought how can we make that more special? boom!  Family Formal Dinner Night!  That's how!  


On the first Sunday of every month!  

For the past six years our beautiful china have been safely tucked away .... out of little hands reach!  But no more!  It's high time we all enjoy some fine dinning and appreciate the dinnerware all those lovely people gifted us for our wedding.  The kiddos were SOOOOOO excited and actually gasped when they saw the pretty plates and candles!  The menu for the night was garlic lemon chicken with vegetable fired quinoa.  ok, not the fanciest.....but it sure was yummy! {maybe next month we'll dress up a little too ..... or at least get out of our sweaty play clothes ;) }



Gavin keeps talking about the 'fancy' dinner and how much fun it was!  And of course a formal dinner needs to be followed up with homemade popsicles {pineapple, banana, honey, and coconut milk}!




It truly was a FUN experience.  Music was on and spirits were high.  It was a relaxed dinner and the kiddos really understood that it was 'special'.  I think when I first told Garrett I was going to be doing this he thought ok, sure, whatever, that sounds nice.  But in the moment it just really clicked for both of us and it was exciting to envision this tradition continuing on well into the kiddos adult years! 


1 comment:

grammy karen said...

Ohhhh Julie, what a great tradition and idea! China is beautiful and much more will be learned from this, like learning great table manners in a fancy restaurant.
How fun for all of you!
I can't wait to join you when I come vist:)

Huggs,
grammy karen